If you think all fat is bad for you, you might need to re-think that!
Just like proteins and carbohydrates, fat is a macronutrient, our bodies need for energy, to absorb vitamins, and to protect one’s heart and support brain health.
How healthy is ghee for you?
Ayurveda, India’s 5,000-year-old traditional “science of life,” recognizes ghee as a healthy source of edible fat.
Ghee has more short and medium-chain fatty acids [MCTs]. These are fats that can be quickly utilized by the body, and they’re less likely to be stored as fat.
Ghee is sometimes even referred to as a ‘superfood.’
Health benefits of ghee
1. Ghee is prepared by heating butter, which allows the water and milk solids to separate out. Ghee is rich in vitamins A, E, and K. These vitamins are known to build immunity and promote antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities in the body.
2. Ghee contains butyric acid, a short-chain fatty acid known to improve gut function. It also prevents many diseases such as arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
3. It may also aid in burning your body fat. Since ghee is a source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), and breaking down MCTs is a shorter process than the breakdown of other fats, they may not always be stored as fat in your body. However, consuming ghee in large quantities may lead to weight gain, so it should not be consumed in large amounts.
4. Some people with lactose intolerance may also be able to digest ghee.
How healthy is coconut oil for you?
Coconut oil is also known as a superfood, like ghee.
The Ayurveda sees it as a beneficial ingredient: from helping in weight loss to spiking metabolism, lowering cholesterol levels, and boosting immunity.
Health benefits of coconut oil
1. Extra virgin coconut oil is known to have medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). The most important is lauric acid, which is responsible for raising the HDL cholesterol levels (also known as good cholesterol). This can significantly help to decrease the risk of heart-related diseases.
2. Coconut oil may encourage fat burning. The MCTs in coconut oil get utilized quickly and are not stored as fat. However, like ghee, consuming coconut oil in large quantities may lead to weight gain, so it should not be consumed in large amounts.
3. It may help lower blood sugar levels due to the slow release of sugar in the bloodstream.
4. Coconut oil has some other benefits that have nothing to do with eating it. Many people use it for cosmetic purposes to improve the health and appearance of their skin and hair as well as their oral hygiene.
5. Among the other health benefits attributed to coconut oil are both the reduction of inflammation in joints and the gut. Also, the medium-chain fatty acids (MCTs) in coconut oil have antimicrobial properties that can protect against harmful microorganisms.
How much ghee or coconut oil should you consume?
- The American Heart Association recommends limiting the consumption of saturated fats (including ghee and coconut oil) to less than 7% of the total calorie intake to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Even though there is some evidence to show that ghee and coconut oil, when consumed in large quantities can increase the risk of heart disease, there is no denying that in small doses, both ghee and coconut oil can be advantageous.
- There is evidence to show that coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and that ghee contains vitamins A and D, and more monounsaturated fats.
- One must always go for virgin coconut oil or quality ghee from grass-fed cows. Some examples of meals you can prepare with ghee and coconut oil include lightly fried ghee omelette or scrambled eggs, ghee or coconut-oil infused vegetables and curries. You can also try replacing butter with ghee on toasts, you can top your pancakes with ghee, or add it in your coffee or smoothies etc. to get the benefits of the two.
Healthy living starts at Health Click Away!
Health Click Away is the smart health and fitness app. You can find healthy recipes, monitor your food intake based on your health and fitness goals, you can track the calories burned through exercise and walking, and keep a tab on your water intake.
You can also use the Health Click Away Coach app and get trained by the best health and fitness trainers and coaches, nutritionists, and weight-loss experts. As a user you can get personalized diet and workout plans and health tips, and achieve your health goals all with just a click!