If you think all fat is bad for you, you might need to re-think it!
Fat is a macronutrient, just like protein and carbohydrates, your body needs some fat for energy, to absorb vitamins, and to protect your heart and brain health.
How healthy is ghee for you?
Ayurveda, India’s 5,000-year-old traditional “science of life,” recognizes ghee as a healthy source of edible fat.
Ghee has more short- and medium-chain fatty acids [MCTs]. These are fat that can be quickly utilized by the body, and they’re less likely to be stored as fat.
Ghee is sometimes even referred to as a ‘superfood.’
Health benefits of ghee
1. Ghee is boiled and strained, removing water and milk solids from it; it is rich in vitamins A, E, and K. These vitamins are known to build immunity and promote antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities in the body.
2. Ghee contains butyric acid, a short-chain fatty acid known to improve gut function. It also prevents many diseases such as arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
3. It may also aid in burning your body fat. Since ghee is a source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), and breaking down MCTs is a shorter process than the breakdown of other fats, so they may not be stored as fat in your body. However, consuming ghee in large quantities may lead to weight gain, so it should not be consumed in large amounts.
4. Some people with lactose intolerance may also be able to digest ghee.
How healthy is coconut oil for you?
Coconut oil is also known as a superfood, like ghee.
The Ayurveda sees it as a beneficial ingredient: from helping in weight loss to spiking metabolism, lowering cholesterol levels, and boosting immunity.
Health benefits of coconut oil
1. Extra virgin coconut oil is known to have medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). The most important is lauric acid, which is responsible for raising the HDL cholesterol levels (also known as good cholesterol), which may decrease the risk of heart-related diseases.
2. Coconut oil may encourage fat burning. The MCTs in coconut oil get utilized quickly and may not be stored as fat. However, like ghee, consuming coconut oil in large quantities may lead to weight gain, so it should not be consumed in large amounts.
3. It may help lower blood sugar levels due to the slow release of sugar in the bloodstream.
4. Ghee may protect your skin, hair, and teeth. Coconut oil has some other benefits that have nothing to do with eating it. Many people use it for cosmetic purposes to improve the health and appearance of their skin and hair as well as their oral hygiene.
5. Among the other health benefits attributed to coconut oil are the reduction of inflammation in joints and the gut. Also, the medium-chain fatty acids (MCTs) in coconut oil have antimicrobial properties that can protect against harmful microorganisms.
How much of ghee or coconut oil should you consume?
- The American Heart Association recommends limiting the consumption of saturated fats (including ghee and coconut oil) to less than 7% of the total calorie intake to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Even though there is some evidence to show that ghee and coconut oil can increase the risk of heart disease,if taken in large quantities, but no one can deny, however, that in small doses, both ghee and coconut oil can be advantageous.
- There is evidence that coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and that ghee contains vitamins A and D, and more monounsaturated fats. One must always go for virgin coconut oil or quality ghee from grass-fed cows.
- You can include lightly ghee fried omelette or scrambled eggs, ghee or coconut-oil infused vegetables and curries,replacing butter with ghee in toasts, top your pancake with ghee, add in your coffee or smoothies etc. to get the benefits of the two.
Healthy living starts at Health Click Away!
Health Click Away is a smart health and fitness app. You can find healthy recipes, monitor your food intake based on your health and fitness goal, track the calories burned through exercise and walking, and your water intake.
You can also use the Health Click Away Coach app and get trained by the best health and fitness trainers and coaches, nutrition, and weight-loss experts. Get personalized diet and workout plans and health tips, and achieve your health goals in a click with health click away!