Diet is anything that you eat. But for some reason, today, the word ‘diet’ has become synonymous with trying to lose weight, through either reducing or cutting down the amount of food one eats. People are often heard saying “I will be going on a diet for a few days”. But, the truth is that you’ve been on a diet since the day you were born – words by – Ramanpreet Kaur (an HCPC Registered Dietitian, London, UK) during a Facebook live talk with Health Click Away on ‘Demystifying Fad Diets’ on the 11th of July 2020.
Fad diets are diets that are identified as being deficient or imbalanced in nutrients in some way, and which often promise rapid weight loss. Examples include ketogenic or keto diet, Paleo diet, Atkins diet, detox diet, celebrity diets, and many more.
They are so popular and ‘in-trend’ that every time you look around there’s a new version of them.
Problems with fad diets
1. They cause an energy imbalance and lead to unhealthy weight loss. So when you stop following these diets, you regain the weight and sometimes even more.
2. They may cause nutritional deficiencies in the body.
3. Since they sometimes cause nutritional deficiencies, they may even weaken the immune system.
4.The cycle of losing and regaining weight (yo-yo dieting) may loosen the skin, causing many other health issues related to metabolism.
5. Regularly eating fad diets can affect the psychological well-being of an individual.
6. It can may headaches and tiredness due to lack of energy.
7. A diet very high in protein may lead to kidney issues later in life.
Achieving sustainable weight loss – Quick tips
- Consume a balanced diet and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- It is also helpful for you to know what your ideal body weight and estimated calorie intake should be. You can use the inbuilt calculators on the Health Click Away website to check your Body Mass Index (BMI), calorie intake according to your goal, and Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).
“Health Click Away” is a smart health and fitness app that can be your health companion to help you LOSE WEIGHT ‘Naturally’, and in a sustainable way.
““To enjoy a long life, you have to have a healthy body!” – By Ruchika Gupta (CEO, Health Click Away)
Check out the video below of the Facebook Live talk with HCPC Registered Dietitian Ramanpreet Kaur to know more about Fad Diets.