“Walking is man’s best medicine. ”
The father of modern medicine in 300BC said the above. It is just as true and valid today as it was then. Unfortunately, the harsh reality for most of us is a sedentary lifestyle. We have become a “couch potato”. Although, some of us, when motivated to increase our physical activity tend to join costly gyms or fitness studios to lose the extra pounds. But how many of us actually know that we can be one step closer to losing weight by a mere walk of 30 min per day?
Yes, walking is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to get more active. The best thing about walking is that it doesn’t require any special equipment and you can do it anytime and anywhere. Not only can walking help you to lose weight but it also has several other health benefits. In this article, we discuss how walking can add years to your life.
HELPFUL IN LOSING WEIGHT:
Physical activity, such as walking helps you to burn calories and this can help you to lose weight. A brisk walk of 30 min is recommended by the American Heart Association that can help you burn about 150 calories a day. Of course, other factors can influence the calories burnt such as age, weight, speed, etc.
Walking with a brisk pace of 3.2 miles per hour can burn an average of 90 calories.
According to a study, people who walked for 60 min 5 times a week for 3 months lost 15 inches together and 1.3% body fat.
Wearing a weighted vest or backpack can help to burn more calories. However, consult a health expert and personal trainers before using weights.
Walking helps in preserving and gaining lean muscle when we lose weight.
Burning an additional 300 calories a day with a brisk walk could help you lose 30 pounds (14kg) in a year while keeping your eating habits the same.
Nordic walking is a type of walking that can be enjoyed by athletes as a form of sport and non-athlete individuals as a health-promoting physical activity. Some researches show that Nordic walking has greater benefits on health parameters than normal walking.
A Canadian study showed that women who walked briskly for about an hour a day for 14 weeks reduced their belly fat by 20% – without changing their eating habits. Walking can possibly help you in reducing tummy fat without drastic changes in your diet.
Balance is the most important key to stay fit and healthy. Overdoing can lead to exertion, injury, and increase the risk of burnout. Increase your pace gradually. Start with short walks with moderate intensity. Of course, consult a health professional prior to commencing anything.
WALKING: PLETHORA OF HEALTH BENEFITS
- Accumulating fat around the abdomen is linked with many heart diseases, and type 2 diabetes. Women with a waist circumference greater than 35 inches have an increased risk of many health conditions such as type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- In this systematic review conducted by World Obesity Federation, walking (a generally accessible activity for a largely sedentary population) was assessed as a preventive risk factor for the development of fatal and non‐fatal cardiovascular disease (CVD).
- Walking can help in reducing the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- It can aid in lowering low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol which is “good” cholesterol.
- It can help to lower blood pressure.
- It helps to maintain bone density.
- It helps reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It can increase lung capacity
- Finally, walking can help to improve coordination and balance.
HOW TO REACH YOUR DAILY TARGET STEPS?
If walking 10,000 steps seems unattainable, one must set a reasonable goal and should work to achieve it. Bringing some change in daily movement patterns can help reach your target health goal. A few tips include:
- Taking walking breaks at your workplace instead of sitting for long hours.
- Using stairs instead of the elevator
- Taking your pet for a walk.
- Join a walking group. Getting a few friends to go on a walk can improve motivation.
- Make use of fitness tracker apps to count steps and monitor burnt calories.
Small habits repeated daily can sum up in huge results. Simply walking or reaching a daily target of 5,000 steps can help you lose weight and belly fat. It can help to improve your mood and lung capacity. So, gear up and habituate yourself to walk and keep moving your feet in a healthy direction.
With Health click away start your journey to a Healthier You. Health Click Away helps you to stay fit and healthy by tracking progress toward target footsteps. Keeping track of workouts can motivate you and help in keeping you on the right path. The app reminds you when it’s time for your meals, provides you healthy and tasty recipes, and track your daily water intake. You can track your footsteps, food, water, and maintain a digital food diary at just one click.